New Books: November 2014
Every month the AAG compiles a list of newly-published books in geography and related areas. Some are selected for review in the AAG Review of Books.
Publishers are welcome to send new volumes to the Editor-in-Chief (Kent Mathewson, Editor-in-Chief, AAG Review of Books, Department of Geography and Anthropology, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803).
Anyone interested in reviewing these or other titles should also contact the Editor-in-Chief.
- Beyond the Big Ditch: Politics, Ecology, and Infrastructure at the Panama Canal by Carse, Ashley (MIT Press 2014, http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/beyond-big-ditch)
- Cities in Relations: Trajectories of Urban Development in Hanoi and Ouagadougou by Ola Söderström (Wiley, 2014, http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-111863280X.html)
- Confronting Suburbanization: Urban Decentralization in Postsocialist Central and Eastern Europe by Kiril Stanilov and Ludĕk Sykora (eds) (Wiley, 2014, http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1405185481.html)
- Death Tourism: Disaster Sites as Recreational Landscape by Sion, Brigitte, ed (Seagull Books 2013,http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/D/bo15702071.html)
- A Desolate Place for a Defiant People: An Archaeology of Maroons, Indigenous Americans, and Enslaved Laborers in the Great Dismal Swamp by Sayers, Daniel (University of Florida 2014,http://upf.com/book.asp?id=SAYER001)
- Empire and Power in the Reign of Süleyman: Narrating the Sixteenth-Century Ottoman World by Şahin, Kaya (Cambridge University Press 2013, http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/history/middle-east-history/empire-and-power-reign-suleyman-narrating-sixteenth-century-ottoman-world)
- Frontiers of Possession: Spain and Portugal in Europe and the Americas by Herzog, Tamar (Harvard University Press 2015, http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674735385)
- Geographic Databases and Information Systems by Stefanakis, Emmanuel (CreateSpace Independent Publishing 2014, http://www.amazon.com/Geographic-Databases-Information-Emmanuel-Stefanakis/dp/1500298514)
- Human Geography: A Concise Introduction by Mark Boyle (Wiley, 2014,http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118451503.html)
- Hunters, Predators and Prey: Inuit Perceptions of Animals by Laugrand, Frédéric and Jarich Oosten (Berghahn Books 2014, http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title.php?rowtag=LaugrandHunters)
- In the Nature of Landscape: Cultural Geography on the Norfolk Broads by David Matless (Wiley, 2014,http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1405190817.html)
- Leadership in American Academic Geography by DeVivo, Michael S. (Louisiana State University Press 2015,http://www.amazon.com/Leadership-American-Academic-Geography-Twentieth/dp/0739199129)
- Materialities of Ritual in the Black Atlantic by Ogundiran, Akinwumi and Paula Saunders (Indiana University Press 2014, http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/product_info.php?products_id=807283)
- Pacific Crossing: California Gold, Chinese Migration, and the Making of Hong Kong by Sinn, Elizabeth (Hong Kong University Press 2013, http://www.hkupress.org/Common/Reader/Products/ShowProduct.jsp?Pid=1&Version=0&Cid=16&Charset=iso-8859-1&page=-1&key=9789888139729)
- Spirit of the Wolves: A Novel by Hearst, Dorothy (Simon & Schuster 2014,http://books.simonandschuster.com/Spirit-of-the-Wolves/Dorothy-Hearst/9781416570028)
- The Small Nation Solution by Bodley, John H. (Rowman and Littlefield 2014, https://rowman.com/ISBN/978-0-7591-2220-8)
- True Yankees:The South Seas and the Discovery of the American Identity by Morrison, Dane A. (John Hopkins University Press 2014, https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/content/true-yankees)
- The World of Maps: Map Reading and Interpretation for the 21st Century by Tyner, Judith A. (Guilford Press 2014, http://www.guilford.com/books/The-World-of-Maps/Judith-Tyner/9781462516483)