- Abstract Guidelines-Submissions
- Getting There
- Land Acknowledgement
Please join the Department of Geography and GIS at Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville (SIUE) for the 2022 AAG West Lakes Division Annual Meeting. We are planning for an in-person meeting at the SIUE campus, one of the largest campuses in North America!
Over 100 geographers — including faculty, practitioners, graduate and undergraduate students from the states of Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan — are expected to participate in research in the human, physical, and geospatial subfields of geography and related disciplines.
In addition to paper and poster sessions, a number of special events are planned including:
- Happy Hour and BBQ supper on Friday evening at Global Brew and Sugarfire
- An invited presentation by Mark Munsell, Deputy Director, Data and Digital Innovation at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- Luncheon with awards ceremony on Saturday
- Field trip opportunities to Cahokia Mounds and Confluence Tower
To be eligible to present at the meeting, you MUST register for the meeting. You do not need to be a member of WLDAAG (or the AAG) to register. The WLDAAG accepts all submitted abstracts.
Includes access to conference and luncheon with awards ceremony on Saturday
- $75 for students; K-12 educators
- $125 for faculty/professionals
Please note the price increases to $95 for students and $150 for faculty after October 1.Register now
Abstract Guidelines and Submissions
An abstract is required for everyone presenting a paper or poster at the conference and must be submitted using the online submission tool. Abstracts can only be submitted during or after registering for the conference. A student or faculty registration for at least one contributor to the presented work is required for the abstract to be accepted.
Abstracts are due by September 30, 2022.Submit your abstract
- Abstracts must describe the presentation’s purpose, methods, and conclusions.
- By submitting an abstract, you are granting the conference organizers permission to publish it in the abstract compilation and to disseminate it electronically.
- Do not include author names, contact information, affiliations in the body of the abstract.
- Do not use bulleted lists.
- Do not include formatting codes in your abstract (justification, line height/centering, margins, spacing, fonts, page centering/numbering, suppression or tabs, etc.).
- Keep in mind that your abstract will not be edited. You are responsible for any spelling, grammatical, and typographical errors.
- Be sure to include keywords (see below).
- Keywords may be compound (such as “political geography”).
- Do not use abbreviations.
- Should generally be nouns, not adverbs or adjectives.
- Keywords must be separated by a comma.
Friday, October 21
- Paper and poster session beginning at 9 a.m.
- Happy Hour with optional BBQ supper beginning at 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 22
- Business meeting (7:30/8 am); paper and poster sessions starting at 9 a.m.
- Luncheon with awards beginning at 12:30 p.m.
A detailed schedule will appear two weeks before the event.
By plane: you will be flying into the St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL is airport code)
By train: Amtrak trains arrive in Alton, IL (just a 20-minute drive south to Edwardsville, IL
By car: We are located off Interstate-55 in Edwardsville, IL
- From the North — Follow I-55 S to IL-143 (exit 23); follow Governors Parkway to E. University Drive to arrive on our campus
- From the South — Get on I-44, take exit 291A to merge onto I-55N/I-64E/US-40 E toward I-70E/Illinois, take exit 10 toward I-270/255 N; take exit 3 for New Poag Rd; follow the signs for the SIUE campus
- From the East — Follow I-70W to IL-157N/N Bluff Rd (exit 9); drive on University Dr until you reach the campus
- From the West (Macomb, IL as example) — Follow IL-255 to New Poag Rd (exit 3), follow the signs for the SIUE campus
- From the airport — Get on I-70E, Take I-270E to New Poag Rd (exit 3), follow the signs for the SIUE campus
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
1000 Plummer Dr, Edwardsville, IL 62025, 618-692-7255.
A block of rooms has been reserved for October 21 and 22 at a rate of $164/night plus taxes and fees.Mention AAG WLDAAG when reserving your room
Land Acknowledgement Statement
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville exists in and serves a region that includes the lands of the Kiikaapoi (treaty in Edwardsville, 1819); The Illinois Confederacy, including the Peoria, Kaskaskia, Michigamea, Cahokia, and Tamaroa (treaty in Edwardsville, 1818); Dhegiha Siouan peoples; and others. We affirm their contemporary and ancestral ties to the land and their contributions to this place. In alignment with the academic mission of the institution, we are committed to building responsible relationships with indigenous communities through the development of educational pathways and opportunities for indigenous students and the advancement of research and knowledge about indigenous peoples, cultures, and histories.