The main vehicle for collecting these data is the AAG membership form. This form collects information such as educational background, sex, race/ethnicity, age, topical and area proficiencies, and employment sector. The amount of information that can be requested on a single-page form is limited. Within that constraint we attempt to replicate US Census Bureau race and ethnicity definitions.
The single largest limitation to these data is the hesitation, for a variety of presumed reasons, on the part of members to provide full background information. Without reliable details about education, sex, race, or employment it is impossible to state with confidence how diversity initiatives, et cetera are impacting our growing discipline.
- 1972-2002 Historical Membership [Table of Contents]
- Multi-year Comparison of AAG Specialty Group Membership Totals, 1988-1998 [PDF]
- 2003-2005 Membership Data [HTML]
- 2006 Membership Data [PDF], [Excel], [HTML]
- 2007 Membership Data [PDF], [Excel], [HTML]
- 2008 Membership Data [PDF], [Excel], [HTML]
- 2009 Membership Data [PDF], [Excel], [HTML]
- 2010 Membership Data [PDF], [Excel]