Diversity and Inclusion
Enhancing diversity, promoting inclusion, and broadening participation in the discipline of geography are goals that are central to the AAG and its mission. The AAG actively engages in outreach and research activities to promote diversity and inclusion within the geography community. We also include data from a variety of sources about our membership and department composition. This section promotes recent and ongoing AAG projects focused on broadening participation in geography.
- Diversity Ambassadors – The AAG’s Diversity Ambassadors are a diverse group of graduate students and early-career geographers who volunteer to share their experiences and give advice about college life, graduate school, job searches, networking, navigating the AAG Annual Conferences, and more to graduate or undergraduate students.
- Senior Associates Program - The AAG's Senior Associates Program engages retired and senior geographers with various ongoing and special activities of the association.
- ALIGNED Project – The NSF-funded ALIGNED project was a three-year pilot study seeking to align the needs of university departments and underrepresented students by drawing upon the intellectual wealth of the discipline to inform and transform ways in which departments envision and realize their own goals to enhance diversity.
- Geographies of Broadening Participation – An NSF-funded research project to engage scholars in geography and the spatial sciences in a research project designed to organize and inspire the geography and spatial science community to focus its unique disciplinary perspectives and significant scholarly capacity to address how to leverage the intellectual capacity of the discipline to broaden participation in higher education.
- AAG Diversity Related Groups – Find out about the various AAG’s volunteer committees, specialty and affinity groups are directly engaged in making a difference in our discipline around issues of enhancing diversity, promoting inclusion, and broadening participation in geography.
- Gender and Geography – A list of groups relating to gender in geography in the US, Canada and beyond.
- Diversity Clearinghouse – A searchable database of resources geared toward enhancing diversity within the discipline of geography.
- Geography at Minority Serving Institutions – A list and interactive map of MSIs offering geography programs, as well as articles and other resources.
- Enhancing Diversity Award – Every year the AAG honors a geographer who has pioneered efforts toward or actively participated in efforts toward encouraging a more diverse discipline over the course of several years. Visit the Grants and Awards section to find out more.
- Harold M. Rose Award for Anti-Racism Research and Practice – Since 2013 the AAG has given an award in memory of Harold Rose, the first black president of the Association. It honors a geographer who has a made a contribution to the discipline with research on issues related to race, and who has also had on impact on anti-racist practice. Visit the Grants and Awards section to find out more.
- Enhancing Diversity Fund – Make a donation towards AAG activities designed to enhance diversity, promote inclusion, and broaden participation in the discipline.