OXFORD, OHIO: Geography M.A. at Miami University
January 04, 2017
The Department of Geography at Miami University invites applications to its Master of Arts (M.A.) degree. Miami is a public, liberal arts institution founded in 1809. Our rigorous and flexible M.A. program offers close mentorship by a faculty active in leading areas of geographical research. The theoretical, methodological, teaching, and practical skills learned by our MA graduates have prepared them for both doctoral study and careers in the public and private sector.
Upon graduation, our students have found successful careers in environmental analysis and protection, urban and regional planning, publishing, government, real estate, location analysis and higher education. Our students have gained acceptance and funding offers from top doctoral programs like Toronto, Kentucky, Arizona, Colorado, Washington, Illinois, UCLA, Ohio State University, Royal Holloway, and others. Graduates of our department are faculty at Toronto, George Washington, Toledo, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan State, Bridgewater, Northern Illinois, Clemson, Binghamton, and others.
Research and teaching in the Department of Geography focus primarily on:
1) Global and Sustainable Development, exploring the impacts of globalization and structural change, political ecologies, sustainability and development.
2) Urban Worlds, exploring urban landscapes, including economic and urban restructuring, land-use regulation, transportation and public space.
3) Human-Environment Interactions, examining recent human-driven environmental change and land use /land cover change.
4) People and Places, exploring links between global forces and diversity of local people and places, researching race, ethnicity, gender, identity and citizenship.
5) Geospatial Sciences, analyzing spatial distributions through Geographic Information Science.
6) Natural Resource Conservation, including landscape ecology, biogeography, geomorphology, and hydrology.
We have a number of graduate assistantships available, and are particularly encouraging applications from students interested in working on urban, environment or development issues situated in US, European, African or Asian contexts. Graduate assistantships include a stipend as well as waiver of tuition.
Miami University is located in Oxford, Ohio, approximately 35 miles northwest of Cincinnati, Ohio. Oxford is a charming college town that offers both a vibrant small-town atmosphere and rural amenities, yet is within an hour of both Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio.