Recruit new schools to participate in the Esri ConnectED program
Before we can help add GIS to classroom curricula, we have to get the software into schools. One of the most important engagements you can perform as a GeoMentor is to recruit new schools to participate in the Esri ConnectED program! With the goal of ArcGIS Online usage in 25,000 US K-12 schools by 2017, the success of this program ultimately depends on people like you, volunteering your expertise as a GeoMentor and proactively seeking opportunities to bring GIS into new schools across the country.
- How do I find a school to recruit?
- Why should schools participate?
- GIS can benefit ALL classrooms. When recruiting a new school to the program, be prepared to explain the concept of GIS and what it has to offer to educational settings. GIS is not just for certain grade levels or subject areas; it has application potential throughout all schools and classrooms! You may draw from your own personal experiences and knowledgebase, but also be sure to review the materials developed specifically for educators available here.
- GeoMentors are available to help. School administrators and teachers are often already operating with limited time and resources available. While free GIS software is a wonderful asset to the classroom, we don’t want to burden educators with the full weight of learning how to use and implement ArcGIS Online by themselves. This is where you and your fellow GeoMentors come in! The GeoMentors program is designed to make ArcGIS Online as accessible, digestible, and useful as possible to teachers and students alike, with volunteers across the nation ready to help. Be sure to tell school employees about the available (and growing) GeoMentors network, ready-made curriculum materials and teaching resources available through the GeoMentors website, and online communities where members can engage with program participants and coordinators.
- How do schools sign up?
- Visit Esri’s ConnectED homepage, scroll down and click on 'Request a free school account'. There is NO cost and signing up is simple.
- To help plan for implementing a school’s free account, see ArcGIS Online Organizations for K-12 Schools for a high-level view of ArcGIS Online Organization accounts for K-12 schools, including how they can be structured to suit a particular school’s needs. Additional resources are available here.
- How should I communicate with a potential school or educator?
- Template Letter for Contacting Schools and Educators new to the Esri ConnectED and GeoMentors Progams
- Use this template to craft your communication with a school and/or educator you would like to work with.
Share your experience with us! Have you recruited a school and helped them access their free ArcGIS Online software? Congratulations on your efforts! Tell us about your experience so we can celebrate with you, honor your achievement, and track program progress.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.