AAG Enrichment Funds
Priority Deadline: November 7, yearly (Any applications received after this time will be considered on a case by case basis, if there are remaining funds)
The AAG will allocate approximately $30,000 to support participation of distinguished non-geographers in the annual meeting. The purpose of the Enrichment Fund is to enrich the AAG Annual Meeting by providing funds for individuals who likely would not participate in an AAG meeting without the awards. Requests for reimbursement of lodging, meeting registration fees, subsistence, and travel will be considered on a competitive basis. Enrichment funds may not be used for honoraria.
Approximately 35 to 50 applications are received each year. The selection committee typically makes awards ranging from $50 to $500.
To apply for meeting enrichment funds, fill out the online application to the AAG Annual Meeting Enrichment Funds Committee that:
- Identifies the individual to be contacted about the outcome of the request.
- Enumerates the total amount required to underwrite the individual's participation in the meeting, and the share of that total requested from enrichment funds (cost sharing is strongly encouraged).
- Lists the name, affiliation, complete address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the individual for whom support is requested.
- Details how the individual will participate in the AAG meeting, including the title(s) of his or her presentation(s).
- Explains how the individual's presentation will enhance the AAG meeting.
- Specifies the individual(s) or group(s) sponsoring the individual's participation.
Requests will be evaluated by the program committee on the basis of how and to what degree the presentation(s) will enrich the AAG meeting. Decisions will be emailed to the contact person within 2 weeks of the priority deadline.
Specialty Group Enrichment Funds
The AAG has set aside 5 slots specifically for local, Non-Geographers who are invited by Specialty Group Chairs to attend the meeting, but not necessarily present at the meeting. These slots are available on a first come, first served basis. Any additional requests to the EF committee will be considered in the same light as other requests, and awards will be based on eligibility and remaining funds. To apply for one of these slots, please fill out an Enrichment Funds application and indicate Specialty Group Chair reserved slot in the supplemental information.
Note: Students are not elligible for enrichment funds. Please consider volunteering at the Annual Meeting.
Please direct all queries to:
Oscar C. Larson
Association of American Geographers
1710 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009
Voice: (202) 234-1450
Fax: (202) 234-2744