Career Preparation Tips
The documents linked below provide overviews and advice on key topics related to career readiness and preparation. Unless otherwise specified, these materials have been compiled by AAG staff affiliated with the Enhancing Departments and Graduate Education (EDGE) Project (www.aag.org/edge).
- Career planning for geographers
- Focused job seeking: A measured approach to looking for work (Occupational Outlook Quarterly)
- Four tips for a non-teaching academic job search (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Going global: Practicing geography internationally
- Informational interviewing: Get the inside scoop on careers (Occupational Outlook Quarterly)
- Internships: How to get experience when you have no experience
- Professional networking: Who you know is as important as what you know
- Online presence and reputation (Kansas State University Career and Employment Services)
- Resumes, applications, and cover letters (Occupational Outlook Quarterly)
- What can I do with this degree? (University of Tennessee-Knoxville Career Services)
- Writing the curriculum vitae (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
To share a resource or suggest a new topic, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.