Geography in the Americas
Since 2005, the AAG has created and managed special efforts to facilitate communication among geographers across the American continent. These have included research projects, workshops, panel sessions at major conferences, roundtables, and other activities. To further facilitate exchange and information sharing, the AAG, with the involvement of PAIGH, the IGU, and others, has invited geographers, geography programs and geography institutions across the hemisphere to send descriptions of their research and their organizations for an inclusive online directory about the discipline in the hemisphere. Some of this data is presented spatially in the map below.
View Larger Map To view information about a particular institution or geography program, please click on the red point you are interested in, and click on the arrow inside the white circle.
To view map credits and acknowledgements, please click here.
For more detailed information on geography departments and offerings, see also the AAG Guide to Geography Programs in the Americas.
To add your information to this directory map, please see the online forms below:
Please email any corrections to Astrid Ng.
Geography in the Americas Sessions
Since 2006, each year at the AAG Annual Meeting and at other conferences, a special session, panel, workshop, or activity features a theme of importance for facilitating collaboration among geographers and geographic institutions across the Western Hemisphere. Participants have come from Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, USA, Venezuela, and other countries.
- 2006 AAG Chicago, IL • El Estado Actuál de la Geografía en Países Hispanoamericanos, First All-Spanish Language Session
- 2006 San Marcos, TX • US and Latin American Collaboration in Geographic Research and Education
- 2007 AAG San Francisco, CA • Perspectivas sobre Oportunidades de Colaboración en Investigación
- 2007 La Serena, Chile • Geographic Collaboration in the Americas: Pathways and Prospects
- 2008 AAG Boston, MA • Exploring Interdisciplinary International Research Collaboration in the Americas
- 2009 AAG Las Vegas, NV • Resources for Supporting International Collaboration
- 2010 AAG Washington, DC • Publishing Across National, Institutional, and Linguistic Borders
- 2011 AAG Seattle, WA • Roundtable of Geography Organizations of the Region on Addressing Key Challenges in Society
- 2011 EGAL San Jose, Costa Rica• Roundtable of Geography Organizations of the Region on Addressing Key Challenges in Society Part 2
- 2011 IGU Santiago, Chile • Roundtable of Geography Organizations of the Region on Addressing Key Challenges in Society Part 3
- 2012 AAG New York, NY • Snapshots: Geography in the World Today
- Compiled Reports: Geography in the Americas 2006-2012
- 2013 AAG Los Angeles, CA • Making the Most of Student Exchanges for Research and Study Abroad in the Americas, panel session and program flyer fair
- 2014 AAG Tampa, FL • Pan-American Geography: Working across Academic, NonProfit and Public Sectors to enrich Research and Education in the Americas
Suggestions or inquiries welcomed. Contact Patricia Solís.