Careers News: "Spotlight on Geographers"
- Spotlight profile: Geography innovators interviewed in GeoPivot magazine
In celebration of Geography Awareness Week 2013, our friends at GeoPivot magazine have posted video interviews with five innovative young professionals and students who are blazing their own paths in geography.
- Spotlight profile: Charles Gritzner, Distinguished Professor of Geography, South Dakota State University
Dr. Charles Gritzner received his doctorate in geography/anthropology from Louisiana State University and taught at the college level for over 50 years. In this interview for About.com, he reflects on his long and distinguished career and presents his case for why geography matters.
- Spotlight profile: Jonathan Meiburg, indie rockstar and biogeographer
Jonathan Meiburg is a multi-instrumentalist, singer, and songwriter for the band Shearwater. He's also an avid ornithologist who holds a master's degree in biogeography from The University of Texas at Austin.
- California budget plan would add 500 full-time faculty
A budget proposal under consideration by the California State University's Board of Trustees would add 500 new faculty positions for high-demand subjects, including geography.
- Spotlight profile: Juan Jose Valdes, Cartographer, National Geographic Society
Juan Valdes describes two significant journeys in his life: his arrival in the U.S. as a child refugee from Cuba and his path to a career as the official geographer of the National Geographic Society.
- Employment studies define remote sensing occupations
A national employment survey and series of workshops conducted by the GeoTech Center have helped to define a job ladder for remote sensing professionals.
- New findings released on master's-level education
Learning from International Practice (LFIP) has just released the results of its recent research on the "Taught Postgraduate Student Experience." The project aims to explore the defining attributes of master's-level study across a range of disciplines and regional contexts.
- Spotlight profile: Yusuf Adamu, geographer and poet
Yusuf Adamu epitomizes the multidisciplinary tradition of geography. An associate professor of geography and head of the Strategic Planning Unit of Bayero University in Kano, Nigeria, he is also a bilingual novelist and poet who has published works in the Hausa and English languages.
- The past, present, and future of tenure in academia
An interview with Dr. Gregory Scholtz of the American Association of University Professors explores why the tenure system was created, what purpose it holds, and its prospects for the future.
- Highs and lows of life in the Peace Corps
Recollections from University of Montana students, faculty, and alumni explore the ups and downs of a tour as a Peace Corps Volunteer.