Jobs & Careers Center
The Jobs & Careers Center provides a central location for job seekers, students, and professionals to interact with one another and to learn more about careers and professional development for geographers. No additional cost or registration is required for conference participants to visit the Jobs & Careers Center.
Follow the link for the schedule of events for the Jobs & Careers Center at the 2016 Annual Meeting of the AAG in San Francisco. The Jobs & Careers Center will be located in Yosemite A & B, Hilton Hotel, Ballroom Level.
Panel Discussions and Paper Sessions
The Jobs & Careers Center will host a number of panel and paper sessions related to careers and professional development. Topics to be addressed at the 2016 Annual Meeting include:
- Welcome to the Annual Meeting: An orientation for newcomers
- Employment in the business, government, and nonprofit sectors
- Preparing for and sustaining an academic career
- Identifying and applying for non-traditional careers in geography
- Integrating career preparation into geography programs and curricula
- The role of undergraduate programs in career preparation
- Diversity in academia and the workforce
- Enhancing students' employability through internships and work-based learning
- Working internationally
- Work-life balance in academia
Details about these and other activities scheduled throughout the Annual Meeting will be posted on the Careers and Professional Development Sessions page as they are confirmed.
Workshops provide hands-on opportunities to learn about and apply ideas and advice from experts in their fields. Career-related workshops planned for the 2016 Annual Meeting include:
- Preparing Geography Students for the 21st Century Workforce
- Professional Networking Strategies
- Becoming a Certified GISP (GIS Professional)
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Interviewing for Employment
- Making Ideas on Power and Resilience Practical for Women's Careers in Geography
- How to Showcase Your Skills with Interactive Maps and Apps
For full descriptions of these and other workshops as they are announced, visit www.aag.org/annualmeeting/workshops.
Whether you're looking for your first job, considering graduate school, or changing careers, the advice of a mentor can help prepare you for success in today's competitive job market. Researchers from the AAG have assembled a team of experienced geography professionals and faculty members to provide one-on-one and small-group consultation about careers in a variety of industries and employment sectors. Topics for discussion could include creating resumes and cover letters that will grab an employer's attention, finding jobs where you can put your geography skills and training to work, developing your personal and professional networks, and long-term career planning. You can also get information about the numerous career-related sessions that will be held during this year's Annual Meeting. If you are interested in volunteering as a Career Mentor, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year, the Jobs & Careers Center features displays of job postings and student opportunities in all fields of geography. Attendees can browse the ads at their leisure. Prospective employers can post printed information about any openings or opportunities on the bulletin boards at no cost for the duration of the conference. [Click here to view our online job ads or for information on advertising on our online job board.]
A diverse group of graduate students and early-career geographers serve as AAG Diversity Ambassadors. Volunteers are willing to share their experiences and advice about college life, graduate school, job searches, networking, navigating the Annual Meeting, and more. Faculty and employers who seek to achieve greater diversity in their programs and workforces are encouraged to talk with the Ambassadors. See the conference program for further details about events and activities involving our Diversity Ambassadors.
Please direct questions or requests for additional information about the Jobs & Careers Center to email@example.com.